Registration open for the 2018 NDRI Annual Symposium in Melbourne
The National Drug Research Institute (NDRI) invites you to register online for the 2018 NDRI Annual Symposium: Alcohol and Other Drug Research, Policy and Practice, this year taking place in Melbourne for the first time.
Date: Thursday 22 November 2018, 8.30am – 5.00pm
Venue: RACV City Club, 501 Bourke Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000
Program and speakers
At this one-day symposium:
- Keynote speaker Professor Tom Decorte, Director of the Institute for Social Drug Research, Ghent University, Belgium will present the latest international developments around regulating cannabis. Professor Decorte has published numerous articles on substance use, cannabis markets, and local drug monitoring systems, and has recently written a book on Regulating cannabis: A detailed scenario for a non-profit cannabis market.
- A panel discussion will explore alternative models of cannabis policy and regulation around the globe, and how these might impact Australia. Panellists include Professor Chris Wilkins from Massey University, New Zealand who brings expertise on a non-commercial approach for cannabis regulation in NZ based on the Cannabis Social Club model, and NDRI’s Todd Subritzky who will speak about his research on the strengths and limitations of the Colorado cannabis legalisation scheme.
- Leading Perth and Melbourne-based NDRI researchers will showcase their latest innovative research and findings aimed at preventing and reducing alcohol and other drug-related harm in Australia. Presenters and topics include:
- Rebecca McKetin – New treatments for ice dependence and the N-ICE Trial
- Simon Lenton – Opioids in the community
- David Moore – Alcohol and young people
- Nyanda McBride – School interventions
- Tanya Chikritzhs – Alcohol and health
- Mandy Wilson – Aboriginal women and offending behaviour
- Adrian Farrugia – Barriers to naloxone uptake
- Suzanne Fraser – Stigma and discrimination around drug use
For further information about the symposium program and speakers please visit the 2018 NDRI Annual Symposium webpage.
Who should attend
This event will bring together people working in the alcohol and other drug sector; professionals working to address alcohol and other drug-related harm in other sectors such as health, education, research, law enforcement and corrections; policy makers; consumers; and anyone else involved or interested in preventing and reducing alcohol and other drug related harm.
Registration and further information
Please register online
Early bird price $210 (inc GST) until Friday 28 September 2018.
Limited student places at discounted rate of $150 (inc GST) – please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
For more information about this event please visit the 2018 NDRI Annual Symposium webpage.