New NCETA resource to enhance responses to pharmaceutical opioid-related problems.
Many prescribers in Australia have patients experiencing difficulties with their use of pharmaceutical opioids. The up-scheduling of over the counter codeine-containing medicines on 1 February 2018 is anticipated to bring more of these patients to light in coming months.
NCETA, with support from Indivior Pty Ltd, has developed a new resource for providers titled, Responding to problems related to pharmaceutical opioids: A resource for prescribers to enhance the responses to this patient group. The online resource addresses issues such as:
- Problems associated with longer-term opioid use
- Effective management of persistent non-cancer pain
- Preparing medical practices for patients with prescribed opioid problems
- Assessing opioid use
- Non-opioid symptomatic approaches to pharmaceutical opioid cessation or reduction
- Using opioids for pharmaceutical opioid maintenance, reduction or cessation
- Screening and responding to codeine-related problems.
Responding to problems related to pharmaceutical opioids: A resource for prescribers will be available for download from the NCETA website later this year.