Ice: Frontline Worker Training
NCETA has developed a comprehensive Training Package on crystal methamphetamine. The Ice: Frontline Worker Training Package was released in January 2016. The package was developed by NCETA as part of the Victorian Government’s Ice Action Plan and is available online free of charge.
The Training Package is designed to meet the needs of a wide range of frontline workers, including those from the health and welfare, education, criminal justice and transport sectors, and provides information and resources to enhance existing skills and knowledge.
The package currently contains six independent but complementary modules, with each containing up to eight topics. Modules include:
- Module 1: About Ice
- Module 2: Effects of Ice
- Module 3: Communicating with Ice Users
- Module 4: Ice Users and Critical Incidents
- Module 5: Interventions
- Module 6: Prevention.
A seventh Module, Organisational Responses to Crystal Methamphetamine Users, is under development.
Reflective of the broader community’s concern about methamphetamine, and ice-related issues in particular, the training package has been overwhelmingly embraced by frontline workers. Within three weeks of its release, over three thousand workers, from across Australia, had signed up to use the resource. Its broad, comprehensive, and flexible approach provides workers with useful materials to guide their practice when assisting clients and their families, and working with their colleagues.
Although it contains content that suits a variety of needs, the training package has a specific focus on the identification and care of people who are intoxicated with, and/or withdrawing from, crystal methamphetamine and their families and carers.
The Ice: Frontline Worker Training Package covers a broad range of issues including:
- Information about crystal methamphetamine and its use and harms
- How crystal methamphetamine use affects people and communities
- Worker safety and preventing, managing and recovering from crystal methamphetamine-related critical incidents
- Legal issues
- Using crystal methamphetamine with alcohol and other drugs
- Communicating with and supporting people who use crystal methamphetamine
- Preventing and intervening in crystal methamphetamine use
- Organisational responses to crystal methamphetamine.